Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Takeo Spikes says he is still the starter

On Monday, Adam Schefter reported that the San Francisco 49ers were going to bench both veteran defensive starters Takeo Spikes and Michael Lewis.

In Monday's press conference, Mike Singletary denied that report and said he was not sure where that came from.  Then today on Chronicle Live, linebacker Takeo Spikes denied that report.
"I saw that on TV as well, and it was a shocker, a big surprise to me.  "I talked to our head coach, and he immediately shot that down with me by saying, 'I expect you to be our starter this weekend.'
Personally, I was a bit surprised by the rumor that Spikes was going to be benched but not Michael Lewis.  Lewis has started to show his age and his lack of speed hurt the 49ers in the Chiefs game.

I would not be surprised to see Reggie Smith replace Lewis in the starting lineup.  I also suspect that although Spikes will still be the starter, we may start seeing more of NaVorro Bowman especially against teams with more speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment