Thursday, September 16, 2010

Has Mike Singletary lost control?

A buddy of mine called me today to give me his "conspiracy theory" that the players of the San Francisco 49ers threw Sunday's game against the Seattle Seahawks to show Mike Singletary that they are tired of being average and want a change.  This request for a change started supposedly around last years Green Bay where they wanted to run the spread offense.


According to the Yahoo Sports article, players again approached coach "Singletary in the offseason to complain about Jimmy Raye and the overall situation."  Changes were made to have quaterbacks coach Mike Johnson take the call from Raye, but not to the actual playcaller, which was and still is Jimmy Raye, who seems to be the problem.


It has also been suggested that many of the quarterbacks in fact like working with Johnson rather than Raye and would rather Johnson be the playcaller.  There is also a rumor out there that Johnson had been alienated from offensive coaches meetings because he was a fan of Nate Davis and Singletary and Raye did not agree with that assessment. 


Today Singletary let it be known how upset he was with the article and the unnamed sources.
"If a man has something to say, he's going to come out and find a way to tell you.  But I don't want to deal with a rat."
It is very important to Singletary to control the information that is outside of the team but even this display seems a bit strange.

He made it clear he was less than thrilled to be spending the day talking about the Yahoo article that stated Jimmy Raye has a hard time making the offensive calls and getting them in on time.


In his weekly KPIX interview with Dennis O'Donnell, the details we thank David White for, he is less than interested in continuing to talk about the article and Jimmy Raye.  In fact, he almost gets to the "I Want Winners" Singletary.
Singletary: The point I'm trying to make is I don't want to talk about the Yahoo deal. It really pisses me off now that I sit here and think about it. We just talked today and I had a press conference today. I don't want to talk about the Yahoo thing anymore. Whoever said it, I don't care who said it, it's over. I want to move forward.
O'Donnell: So there's no truth to it?
Singletary: I want to move forward.
O'Donnell: Let's talk about Alex moving forward into Monday night. In situations where maybe he's not getting a play by a certain amount of time, if he can see ...
Singletary: Alex will be fine Monday night. Watch the game and you will see that Alex will be fine. I don't want to talk about time. I don't want to talk about clock. I don't want to talk about any of that. I want to talk about New Orleans if you want to talk about that.
Then O'Donnell asked Singletary how they planned to try and stop Drew Brees and how they were going to try and move the ball on offense.  Apparently, they are not going to try, they are just going to do.
O'Donnell: OK. Let's talk about trying to stop Drew Brees. 
Singletary: We will not try to stop Drew Brees. We will stop Drew Brees. Next question. 
O'Donnell: Let's talk about trying to move the ball against the New Orleans defense ... 
Singletary: We will not try to move the ball against the New Orleans defense. We will move the ball and we will score.
You know what Singletary, "don't tell me, show me."

No comments:

Post a Comment